Along the road on the Southern part of the city there are beautiful Liberty houses built at the beginning of the 1900.
It was built in 1400 by the Carcassona family, a wealthy jew family. The palace is located in via Sant’Erasmo and had its own cemetery and synagogue, that was in the now known as Piazza Santa Croce, called like that after the Aragonese threw the Jews out of the city. After the Jews banishment, in 1492, the Carcassona goods and house were seized by the Aragonese. The building’s style is
The building is located in Piazza Civica, and its original facade dates back to XVIII century, while the actual entrance is in the back of the building, in Via Columbano. The building hosts the town hall, where the city council still reunites, and weddings still take place.
Built in mid–XV century, in the heart of the ancient city, it is the actual Piazza Civica, belonging to the Ferrera, a rich family of Catalan merchants. It is also known as Casa d’Albis and Palazzo d’Arcayne, the names of the late owners. It was also house of the city military governor, but it is mostly known because it hosted Emperor Charles V in October 1541, on his two day
Located in the highest part of the city, it is named after a salt water shaft used by the people to bake bread. Two late-Gothic double-arched windows are still visible in the facade. The modern shaft is located in front of the building.
At the corner of Piazza Civica and via Carlo Alberto there is Palazzo della Dogana, that went through many restorations.
At the beginning of via Carlo Alberto there is Palazzo Guiò i Duran, built between the XV and XVI century and restored in the XIX century, when a third floor was added. The old facade and the old rectangular windows, surmounted by architraves, are still visible.
Palazzo Lavana is a Gothic-catalan building located in Piazza Civica. It belonged to the Lavagna family, from Liguria, among which there was don Giovanni Lavagna, royal delegate and and important personalities between 1700 and 1800, during the revolution headed by Giovanni Maria Angioi. The recent restoration brought the decorations to a new life. There is also a sundial clearly visible in the facade of the building.
Palazzo Machin is located in via Principe Umberto and is named after the Algherese bishop Ambrogio Machin, who bought and lived there in the first half of 1600. The palace was built in the XVI century, in Gothic-catalan style and its facade has extraordinary decorations on the main door and windows, linking Gothic-catalan and renaissance motifs.
It is located in via Roma at the corner with via Barcelloneta. Built at the end of 1400 by the Guiò family and later bought by the Peretti family, the palace was completely restored in 1953 losing a great deal of its Gothic-catalan style.
Palazzo Serra is located in Piazza Civica. It was built in the mid-1800s on a pre-existing Gothic-Catalan construction. It is the result of different styles, among which the Neoclassical one.
Although the palace has a late-Gothic origin, as visible in the gate structure, it was restored in neo-classical style in 1865. The building is the evidence of the link of the city with the Ligurian family Simon.